Wednesday 17 April 2013

A broken tap in Swift Charisma 540- fixed



Update July 10th 2016 on a newer page

Our tap has recently stopped working.
It is obvious that it is a fault with the microswitch or wiring to the switch.
I popped out the little silver lug and used a tiny 2 or 3mm allen key to turn the screw which is now revealed under the silver lug. Note this isn't the red and blue lug and the allen screw only needs a quarte or half turn. The silver one is on the back of the handle.
the top of the tap then lifts off



April 2013 After our recent puncture in our caravan, we discovered that our kitchen tap had rattled loose. After driving for too long with the tyre smoking and destroying itself the vibrations must have worked the tap securing nut loose.



 
We arrived at our pitch and filled up the aquaroll and went to use the tap and the tap felt like it had come away under the kitchen worktop. The water worked ok so at first I just thought, oh well, I'll fix it later.
After several uses of the tap during normal use I started to think I should get in there and fix it.
Using my iphone I went online to research the issue and discovered how the tap is supposed to be fixed to the worktop but all the fastenings are under the tap and under the worktop.
As you look at the kitchen and tap the fridge is directly below and seems to take all the space up were the tap fixings would go.
Some advice on the internet was to remove the vents on the outside of the caravan and gain access that way.
The vents are held on with a simple sliding clip which is really easy to unclip. There was a bit of mastic around the edge but that came away without any fuss and doesn't really seem to be necessary.
Behind the vent is a mesh screen which probably keeps insects out. This just lifts out easily.
Now you can see that there is a large metal angled sheet which probably is there to allow any fumes to be directed to the outside through the vent. This was held in place by metal staples which I removed with a pointed sharp knife and prised them out.
Behind this sheet is a wooden panel which was screwed and glued in place. I left this alone and gave up.
I used 'no more nails' to put the metal sheet back in place because our stapler wouldn't pierce the metal.
Back to the drawing board!
This time I decided to remove the sink which was a lot easier than I imagined. Several screws in the sink itself for the hinge and the stoppers held it in place. one last screw in the centre of the plughole and it was free.
Yay!
With the sink out I had a clean up around the seal because over the years there had been some seepage and it  needed cleaning.
Now I could see the tap from underneath I could see that the nut had worked loose all the way to bottom of the threaded nut. I tightened up the nut and used a small spanner to nip it up and it was fixed. Above the nut is a c shaped metal ring which holds all the mechanism together and all in all it was an easy fix.
I put the sink back in and tightened all the screws back up and it's now as good as new.

If you have made it this far after my in-depth waffling, well done, and please leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment